Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stage 1: September 3, 2012 -- San Pellegrino to Pieve Di Ledro

Strava stats: 109 miles, 12,705 feet
http://app.strava.com/rides/20871348

Not in the stats: Jetlag, rain, dirt roads, amazing views, my first bonk, but first stage bagged.

We started under ominous skies together on a bike path out of San Pellegrino towards our first climb, the di Zambla, a gentle 23.5km climb. Despite my running fitness it was a shock to be back on a bike and I could tell with the jet lag I would be struggling all day. I managed the first climb fine, though, trying out my new modified hand grip so I could stand on occassion. With the small Campy hoods I was able to hook my middle finger under, use my palm a bit and then keep the thumb more or less straight. Braking on the first descent hurt but was much better than expected ... one climb/descent down, and the roads were still dry! Smiles all around to the first feed stop


 

The next climb, the San Zeno wiped that smile off, though. I was a bit sick to my stomach and just suffered. Folks were very encouraging (Nick, especially), and that really helped me ride through the very long bad patch

 
 
 
That bad patch lasted until the top of the next climb, the Maniva. I was worried since these were hardly the killer climbs to come, and I was struggling. 12-14 km climbs to be sure, but hardly epic ...
 
 
On this day epic was reserved for the next section of dirt, rocks, and puddles that followed the Maniva! I wished I had my Hampsten Strada Bianca with 28mm tires ... the rough road was pounding my hand and tears were mixing with the sweat and rain pouring down my face. Somehow it was perfect, though. After some spectacular views, a rip roaring descent, and a brief flat section, I found some legs on the last short climb and pedaled into our lakeside hotel in the warm rain, exhausted and elated ....
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment