Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stage 10: September 13, 2012 -- (Anti-)climax

123.5 miles, 12,934 feet
Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/21870357

Gavia, or no? We headed out in the near dark in damp cold conditions towards the Gavia. Phil had sent a vehicle up ahead to test conditions. I knew it would be frigid on the Gavia if we got there. I had climbed it and the Mortirolo as part of the Pantani Gran Fondo in 2007, and it was chilly on the Gavia even though it was hot on the Mortirolo. I was hoping to do these climbs again, though, since they are among the best in Italy. After we had gone for about five minutes, Phil got a call that snow and black ice had effectively stranded the vehicle on the Gavia and we headed back.

No Hampsten for us, but there was also no gravel to make the descent safe as there was in 1988 -- just black ice.

We headed down the valley so we could climb the Mortirolo from Monno -- not the easiest way, but not the most difficult, either. It still tested legs tenderized by nine previous stages, though, and it was cold at the top. Then time for the up and down "descent" towards Edolo ....

 Nick crests the Mortirolo
 We were supposed to be where the snow is
 Nippy and icy up here as well
 Jake!

  We then hit Aprica, where we had to take refuge in a cafe until the rescued signing van and lunch could be set up. After hot chocolate and some snacks, we had a long descent and a flat section on some busy roads to ... lunch! There warm clothes were shed for the most part, and we headed for the Vivione, a 20km, gorgeous climb ... Everyone seemed to be enjoying themsleves on this one!



 Another snack at the cafe, and then on to the chilly, rip roaring descent!

I then ran into Ole, and we ended up rding the last two climbs more or less together.

We joked our way up the Presolana, 9km with several 14% pitches to the next rest stop ... any Giro climb has to have some steep kickers, of course.

Rest stop ho!

I took off a bit early down the valley road since I just wanted to ride my own pace -- that proved to be wise since the Danish duo of Ole and Lars were hammering and I just wanted to save energy for the final climb ... another 9km with some steep sections (it was used in the 2011 Giro). I rejoined them on the climb and we headed for home ... it felt strange to be doing the 105th col, with only downhill to go. I was really going to get my CCC patch and complete the entire challenge .... It was both thrilling and melancholy, to be sure.

 Ole at the top!
 Lars cresting the Ganda!
  Random Italians in front of the sign ...
 
 
Perhaps I was just elated, but after trying to wait a bit I just blew down the descent and through the bike path into San Pellegrino Terme ....
 
 
 
How can you sum up two weeks, 1200 miles and 160,000 feet of climbing?
I just had wine and gelato with my new riding buddies and just tried to soak it all in .... real life would be back soon enough ....  

No comments:

Post a Comment