Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stage 4 -- Savage Beauty: September 6, 2012

Chiaulis -- Cortina d'Ampezzo
137.8 miles, 19,095 feet
Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/21076836

I will go out on a limb a say that a number of us were nervous about the Zoncolan, which was coming after 20km. It is widely regarded as the hardest climb in Italy the Giro uses, 10.5 km at 11.5% average, with 6km at an average of 15%. Phil told us to look for the image of Indurain at km 4.9, and the worst would be over ....

 As usual, Phil was a bit "optimistic" on the details, but more on that later. I took off with the group, which insisted on pulling quite quickly to Ovaro, the base of the climb. I knew I would be grinding a 34x29, since Giro winners had used the same gear on this climb and they were both lighter and much more powerful than I. I could not pull very effectively on the bars with my left, so I "compensated" with my core/back, which would come back to bite me since I more or less pulled it here. On the upside, I made the climb non-stop, met an Italian "Piemonte" who laughed with me on the absurdity of this climb. I had no desire to push the pace since I knew we were in for quite a day with about 15,000 feet and 120 miles left after this beast.

 
Piemonte and I at the top
 
 
 Poulidor
 Rob (CH) and Tim
 Bravo
Evidence! Go Simon!
 
 
After breathing a quick sigh of relief we set off for our next "testing" loop. The Forcella Luis was about 5km at 9% with a wicked kick for a start, just to let us know that it would still be steep. I got a coke (or two) at the top of the next climb, and got set for the long slog to lunch, and 30km climb that seemed to go on forever.
 
 
Canada Rob hung with me for a bit before muttering something disparaging about my gearing and taking off into the distance. We had been promised wonderful gnocchi (made with Zucca, or a squash like a sweet potato, but much better -- see Marcella Hazan on this point) at the refugio at the top of the climb, so who could blame him? Strava recorded 16 miles at 4.7%, an easy climb in theory but the grade was very inconsistent and it seemed to go on forever at this point in the stage. I stretched a few times, took some photos, etc. (this is the pattern for most long climbs now, so no need to allude to it each time ;) ).
 
 
Lunch!
 
 
Lunch was even better than promised .... gnocchi, Speck, cheese, etc. But it was getting late and there was much riding to do ....
 
 
Next up was a 6km, 9% climb ... I felt good climbing and my back held out for most of it ...
 
 There goes Tim again (flying by as I inhale a banana)!
 Top of the Passo San Antonio
 
 
At this point just two long, but not overly tough climbs to go .... the Monte Croce and the Tre Croci
 
 
I should mention two things here. I studied the road book but generally relied on the yellow arrows put out on course by the lead van at critical intersections. We also had photographers from Rapha following us for the first four stages ... The arrow after the descent had turned into the mountain, so that was obviously incorrect. I then checked the signs and turned left towards the Monte Croce, only to be waived off by the Rapha photo dudes and told to turn right. I did, but soon figured i was wrong after descending and not seeing any other arrows. As I stopped, two other riders (the two Tims) passed me, going further downhill. I called and figured out I was indeed of course. The Rapha dudes then showed up, admitted their mistake, and I had them go and tell the Tims they needed to turn back. This increased the distance not only to the finish but to the next rest stop and water, which I really needed. Daylight would be an issue as well, so I hurried on, where I ran into Jake and Simon ....
 

 
 
 Good news -- rest stop came relatively quickly; bad news -- drop bag with the light was not there ...
 
 
I chowed some food, and hurried on. Racing daylight, and fighting a seizing back, I headed up towards lake Misurina. First the two Tims rejoined, then dropped me once I stopped to stretch (not that they were not faster anyway), and I climbed into the sunset, happily
 
 Bye, Tims!
 Misurina
 
 
Once I got to the top of the climb, a van pulled up and asked me not to descend in the dark to Cortina .... a good call. I got all the cols, and it would be the only time on the trip I was ever in the van. I did not mind missing a descent in the dark.
 
 
We took quick showers at our nice hotel, and then scurried off for dinner in town. A glass of wine was in order for sure! One more day until the rest day!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment