Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stage 8: September 11, 2012 -- Different Dolomiti

130 miles, 18,219 feet
Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/21646674?segment_created=true

The one good thing about the steep uphill finish yesterday was a downhill start!
Of course, Phil made sure we were climbing in the first 10km. A few narrow, rural climbs with some minor gravel descents to start, then a long, shallow climb (24km) up to the Passo Branchetto.

At the first feed we got a beautiful surprise with pasteries and fruit tarts! Yummm ... and the riders who decided to bail on that day and help out in the vans were more generous than the CCC staff with those pasteries, I have to say ;)

A wild view from the top!



A quick descent and then a climb up the easy side of the Fittanze -- we got to see how brutal a climb it is on the way down to lunch ... some people rode on iffy tires, broken spokes, etc. down that one (Rob, Justin)



After lunch it was off to a very hot, and long climb ... the del Creer. For the first 10km or so it would was a good steady slog, but then we were pointed left and the gradient went into the high teens for a while! After yesterday's under reported climbing I was ready to wait for Phil with my frame pump in hand, but stretched my back, stopped for some food, took a few photos and took my time to the top, knowing the Santa Barbara to come was a tough climb, and the final climb from Riva del Garda would inflict a toll as well. Truth be told, I thought this would be the day my quest to bag all the cols would end in failure ....



I bombed down the descent, found the bike path that should lead to the Passo Santa Barbara, and then was stumped until Phil came by and we saw the arrow across the traffic circle. I was climbing well, but still needed to take breaks for my back. I did sit on a local cyclist who kept trying to drop me as soon as he saw me catching him ... there was no way I was going to speed up or slow down on his account, and made it to the last feed a saw Phil, Jake, Jen, Dave (no planes), etc.

A great technical descent followed where we came upon Simon, whose ankle had finally swollen to epic proportions and had somewho ridden this far! Chapeau! Phil called in the troops to get him and the rest of us headed off for Riva del Garda and the final climb. I let them go after a few km so I could stretch and just ride my own wacky, inconsistent rhythm ... it was a glorious climb since I was in an anti-social mood and the scenery was glorious. I came in just behind for a great dinner, mixing both Italian and Austrian influences ....

I was starting to think this was indeed possible!

Forecast: Rain; Disposition: Sunny


No comments:

Post a Comment